Saturday, October 31, 2009

From Pastor Katherine

In high school and college, I was safely nestled in the cocoon of my parents’ financial protection. I had no idea how fortunate I was to have my daily needs met and my education provided for me. I thoughtlessly spent every penny I earned from part-time jobs on fun things like clothes, concerts, CD’s, and nights out with friends. When I graduated from college and took a job as the office manager of a Lutheran camp, I was in for a real shock. Although the majority of my paycheck went to paying rent in my pricey (yet crowded) California apartment, I quickly discovered what seemed to be a way to keep enjoying the lifestyle I always had: credit cards! It was amazing. I could walk into a store without a penny to my name, and walk out with something new and shiny, thanks to my plastic companion! Needless to say, that fantasy world didn’t last very long either, and reality soon came knocking at my door in the form of bills that took my breath away. After one tearful night on the phone to my parents, I knew I needed a major lifestyle change. I could not keep living like an irresponsible teenager on a young adult’s meager paycheck. I began the process of learning how to live within my means, and today I continue to live those lessons learned.

For me, it was difficult to learn how to “make it simple.” I had confused many needs with wants for so long. Around the same time I learned financial responsibility, I discovered the powerful practice of personal stewardship in my spiritual life. My Lutheran church began hosting a series on stewardship much like the one we will start on the first of this month at St. Peter’s. At first, I didn’t think the lessons would apply to me since my net worth at the time was less than zero. But, almost like a child, I began learning the joy that came from sharing, even in modest amounts, and it started to feel great. Each month, I began planning where my money was going to go: a certain percentage to rent, a certain percentage to debt payments, and a certain percentage to God! The monthly check to my church was the most freeing and joyful one to write. It was like an act of defiance against the credit card companies and other temptations that had sucked me in before!

I hope you will see this upcoming stewardship campaign as an opportunity to re-evaluate priorities, and re-discover the joy that comes with giving and sharing! No matter how far we’ve come or how many life lessons we’ve learned, God is always seeking to stretch and grow us in new ways. More info is available through the link on the home page, which includes a calendar of events that will take place between now and November 22nd. We hope you will join us in growing and giving joyfully!

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter