Tuesday, February 3, 2009

In Praise of Friendship

But Naomi said, "Return home, my daughters. Why would you come with me? Am I going to have any more sons, who could become your husbands? Return home, my daughters; I am too old to have another husband. Even if I thought there was still hope for me—even if I had a husband tonight and then gave birth to sons- would you wait until they grew up? Would you remain unmarried for them? No, my daughters. It is more bitter for me than for you, because the LORD's hand has gone out against me!"
At this they wept again. Then Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-by, but Ruth clung to her.
"Look," said Naomi, "your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her."
But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me." When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her.
Ruth 1:11-18 (NIV)


Naomi had lost all hope when her husband and sons died. Her grief was raw, and her protection was gone. Just when she thought she had nothing to live for, her daughter-in-law made a vow that changed her future. God provided for this widow through a friend whose love and loyalty would see her through a time of great difficulty and loss.

In times of sadness, God provides for us by sending friends to stand by our side and encourage us. I sincerely hope you have had the opportunity to make friends within this congregation. As you talk to each other before and after the service, share together in Bible study, serve on a committee, or tackle a project together, you are building friendships that will sustain you throughout this life, and remind you of the hope of eternal life we share in the next.

The book of Ruth testifies to the power of friendship which helps us through difficult times. Although friendship cannot erase every sorrow, our friends remind us that we are not alone and that we will experience life and joy once again. What’s more, Jesus Christ himself has called us his friends (John 15:15). He hears our cries, sends the Comforter to us, and daily provides for us. In him we are reminded that suffering will not have the last word, and a new future awaits us. Ruth’s words of devotion point us to an even greater love we experience in God. For Christ has said to us: “I will never leave you nor forsake you,” and “I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Hebrews 13:5, Matthew 28:20).

Prayer: God our friend, thank you for the encouragement and companionship you give us in our friends. We bless you, for through your love we have hope and a future. Amen.

Action: This month, honor some of your friends in this congregation. Give them a call, invite them out, or write them a letter, telling them how much you appreciate their friendship.

- Pastor Katherine

Back to our website: http://www.stpeterdelphos.org

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter