Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Faith Statements

Normally on this page I “treat” you to my own reflections and thoughts, but this time I’m going to let our confirmation students have the floor instead. Here are the faith statements of seven young men and women who have meant a lot to me over the past two years. May your faith be strengthened as you hear the testimony of these young people.

Dylan B.

“For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life?” - Matthew 16:25-26

These verses make a statement about our world today. So many people are living a life for themselves and not for God. People are caught up in a world dominated by material possessions. Most people have a “see what I have” attitude towards others, and feel as if they are better people because of their possessions. What Jesus is saying in the verses I chose is that you can obtain any possession in the world, but if you die without following my word, you really never lived. But if you die for me, you will find your life through your faith and the passion that you showed through your life towards me as a Christian.

Lindzi H.

“Even to your old age I am he, even when you turn gray I will carry you.
I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.” - Isaiah 46:4

Hanging from the mirror in my home is a poem called “Footprints in the Sand”. My brother Chad made this art project in Sunday school years ago with Donna Berger, and it has hung on the mirror all these years. I have always taken for granted the poem hanging from the mirror, and I found this poem interesting in many ways. So, I decided to see which passage it came from. When I discovered one of the passages it came from was Isaiah 46:4, I knew this was the verse for me.

Many times during my catechism classes I felt like I truly wasn’t sure how I felt about a few things. Like sometimes I wasn’t sure about my feelings for the class or its requirements, and another instance that stands out particular to me was going to confirmation camp. This was something that was really hard for me as I have never been away from home. Looking back, I know I had the Lord with me helping me to get thru it, carrying me just as Isaiah 46:4 states and delivering me back to my comfort zone where I felt safe again.

I know my parents always taught us that God is everywhere and with us all the time, but this is something I don’t always seem to remember. I think most of us forget this when we are worried about our problems - at least I know I do. Pastor told me: “Confirmation is about your belief in God, do you believe in God?” This directed me to focus on the important things about my confirmation, and not the times when I relied on God to carry me thru. Now I know God carried me thru and he is still with me today, tomorrow and always. That is what matters to me now.
This is why I chose Isaiah 46:4, and the poem that came from it is special to me.

Stephanie K.

“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”- Psalm 27:1

I know that the Lord is with me all of the time. I never need to be afraid that he is not going to be with me. When I am afraid or upset, and things are going bad for me, I can trust that the Lord is going to be there to help me out. When my one grandpa died, he helped me get through the rough time, and I was not afraid. The Lord is the stronghold of my life because he leads me in the right direction to go. He makes sure that I do not do anything that harms me. He leads me down the right path that he thinks is best for me. He wants me to turn out as a great person. I thank the Lord for helping me this far, and I know that he will keep doing so.

Tyler M.

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. - 1 Timothy 4:12

Some people think that younger people cannot be as active and helpful in the church as older ones. That’s why I chose 1 Timothy 4:12: “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set and example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” Just because you aren’t an adult doesn’t mean you can’t be an active member of the church. You can set a good example for the other children and the congregation. Set examples in speech by praying every day and praising God. Set examples in life: help others, and follow the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Love your enemies as well as your neighbors, friends, family, yourself, and God. Set examples in faith: go to church and participate in church activities. Finally, in purity, have goodwill toward all people and confess your sins. These may be basic rules as Christians, but anyone and everyone, no matter their age, can fulfill them.

Brandi T.

”It is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” - Galatians 2:20

My confirmation verse is Galatians 2:20. “It is no longer I who lives, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” I chose this verse because I think it represents what we have been talking about during the whole process of confirmation. It shows that to be a good Christian, you should forget about the old you and leave the selfish wants and needs behind, to open up and become the new you by letting Christ come and fill your life. It reminds us that God loved us so much he gave his one and only Son to wash away our sins and save us so we can go live eternally in heaven with him.

Amanda V.

“Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.”- Isaiah 41:10

I chose this verse because it describes everything I feel I learned in my confirmation classes. I learned that if I believe he is my God, I don’t have to be afraid of anything. With my God, all things are possible. As I continue going through my life, I want to know that God is always there for me. I don’t have to fear the unknown, because he will guide me through any problems. I am 14 years old, and things aren’t always good with my friends. They will say things about me that aren’t always nice or true. I have a hard time dealing with the pain they sometimes cause me, but it helps me to pray to God for answers to give me the strength to get through the day. He helps me by telling me in this verse that he will be with me and that I should not be afraid because he will help me.

I have always known that I can count on my parents for anything. It helps me to know that through their teaching and the guidance Pastor Katherine has shown me; I will not fear because God is there for me.

Kayla W.

“Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long.” - Psalm 25: 4-5

God has helped me in my everyday life, and throughout confirmation class. He has loved me and has been with me every step of the way. Best of all, he has been guiding me in the right ways to go. I don’t know what I would do without him. He has made me special in every way possible, and I know he has plans for me and the rest of my life. I hope that I follow his plan for me as he has chosen. When I don’t know what to do, I know God will always guide me in the right direction. Sometimes I do make wrong decisions, but God always has a way to get me to see where I made the wrong decision. I know what I sometimes do is wrong, but somehow God has always finds a way to forgive me. God, I need you to help me and guide me in the right direction throughout the rest of me life and make the right decisions. My confirmation verse is the one verse that I want to remember in my life. No matter where I go, I can use these as “words to live my life.”

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter